Coronavirus patient thanks Kingston Hospital staff

29 May 2020

The first patient with COVID-19 to be treated in Kingston Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit has shared his story and thanked the staff who cared for him and supported his recovery.

Michael Sansom, aged 50, spent nine weeks in Kingston Hospital after contracting Coronavirus, including 45 days in an induced coma.

During his time on the intensive care unit, Michael suffered from renal failure and his loved ones were prepared for the worst. Michael said: “It was easy for me – I was unaware of everything that was happening, but I cannot begin to imagine what my loved ones were going through. At one point I was given what the doctors thought would be my final round of medication before they would need to switch off the ventilators, but thankfully my condition improved. I know that the support of the wonderful chaplaincy team at the hospital was invaluable to my partner at the time.”

During his recovery on the Intensive Care Unit, Michael was able to keep in touch with his loved ones using video calls, facilitated by hospital staff.

Once well enough, Michael was moved to Kingston Hospital’s Keats Ward, where he continued his recovery and began rehabilitation.

Reflecting on his time on Keat’s Ward, Michael said: “I owe so much to the occupational therapists and physiotherapists. I went from being unable to walk at all, to regaining movement in such a short space of time. The team did an amazing job in helping me to get back on my feet and to feel well again. I would not be where I am today, without them.”

Now back at home in Thames Ditton, Michael has had the opportunity to reflect on his time in hospital and has paid tribute to all the staff that cared for him.

“I am eternally grateful to the wonderful staff at Kingston Hospital. I would like to thank them from the bottom of my heart, for saving my life. I am forever in their debt – together we beat the virus.”

Michael continued: “It has been an amazing journey and I am now looking to the future. I see this as a new beginning for me.”

Jonathan Villanueva, a tracheostomy practitioner and physiotherapist who cared for Michael during his time at Kingston Hospital, said: “All I can say is that he is a remarkable fighter. All the staff at Kingston Hospital who provided him with care, treatment and rehabilitation were truly instrumental in helping him beat the virus. I am very glad that he is now recovering at home and enjoying the nice weather! I wish Michael all the very best and good luck on his journey to full recovery.”

Tell us how we are doing we'd love to have your opinion