Learning Disability Information
The Learning Disability Team at Kingston Hospital Information:
Learning disability nurses from the Your Healthcare CIC Neurodevelopmental Service provide acute liaison and support for patients with a learning disability from 9 – 5pm, Monday to Friday excluding public holidays.
If you need specialist support as an outpatient or an inpatient and you are resident in the boroughs of Kingston or Richmond, please let your nurse or doctor know and they will refer you to the Learning Disability Nurse Liaison Team.
The Learning Disability Nurse Liaison Team can assist with:
- Co-ordination of care – at points of attendance, admission and discharge
- Education within clinical areas and contributing to programmes of education
- Support and advice for acute care staff in relation to personalised care and service delivery
- Collaboration between the agencies involved in service delivery to ensure effective seamless care by undertaking domiciliary home based visits
- Development and enhancement of standards of care for all patients with a learning disability attending acute hospital settings
- Promotion of effective communication strategy’s with those involved in the patient’s care – whether they are community or hospital based
- Support of a relative or a family member with a learning disability who is affected by the patient’s illness/ hospital stay
- Promote safety and minimise risk
- Provide accessible information about treatments
- Promote positive experiences and outcomes
The Learning Disability Liaison Team at Kingston Hospital
Click here to view a list of Clinical Syndromes linked to Learning Disabilities and the Health Issues they present.
Click here to view an A-Z of health issues affecting people with Learning Disabilities.
Mental Capacity Act 2005 - about your health
Mental Capacity Act 2005 - a guide for people who work in health and social care
Consent Pathway for people with Learning Disabilities
The process for making Best Interest decisions in serious medical conditions
Working Together - Easy Steps to improving how people with a Learning Disability are supported when in hospital.
Hospital Passport - for people with learning disabilities coming into hospital
Easy Read Booklets:
Checking your pulse and blood pressure
Having an X-ray
Having a scan
Having a general anaesthetic
Going to A&E
Going into Hospital
Coming to Outpatients