Paediatric – Assessment Unit
The Paediatric Assessment Unit (PAU) accepts referrals from GPs, midwives and the Emergency Department for children who need acute assessment and observation by Paediatrics. It is open 8am – 10pm 7 days a week, providing unwell babies and children with access to review by Senior Paediatricians. PAU is situated in Dolphin Ward but children who seem very unwell may be asked to attend the Emergency Department first where Paediatrics will see and initiate urgent treatment as appropriate.
• Review of babies with jaundice, weight loss and feeding difficulties referred from Community midwives
• Assessment of children and babies referred in with urgent medical problems by GPs and the Emergency Department
• Opportunity for a longer period of observation than can be provided in ED
• Ambulatory care for children who can safely be managed in the community with day hospital review
• Direct access for children with direct access letters, for specific medical conditions who are known to a Paediatric Consultant here at Kingston Hospital.
Location: Level 3, Bernard Meade Wing