We offer comprehensive outpatient services at The Royal Eye Unit, a purpose-built facility with state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment equipment. The unit also provides eye surgery, including cataracts and laser treatments.
Eye emergency clinic at Kingston Hospital’s Royal Eye Unit
Our eye emergency clinic in the Royal Eye Unit has now reopened following essential maintenance and renovation, to create more space and to improve the experience for our patients.
The walk-in eye casualty service at Kingston Hospital has been replaced with a booked appointment system. If you have an urgent eye problem, please phone 020 8934 6799 (Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 4.30pm) so that we can book an appointment for you or signpost you to the most appropriate service for your requirements.
If you have an urgent eye problem outside of the hours of Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 4.30pm, please call NHS 111.
Our services include:
- Medical retina: Treating conditions at the back of the eye, including inflammation
- Age-related Macular Degeneration: A rapid-access, one-stop clinic for assessment and treatment
- Vitro retinal: Treating conditions at the back of the eye that need surgery
- Glaucoma: Assessment and treatment
- Paediatrics: Children’s eye care
- Adult motility: Treating problems with eye movement, misalignment and double vision.
- Oculoplastics: Treating the tissues around the eye
- Cataracts: A one-stop assessment clinic
- General: Treating conditions that may need referrals to specialists
- Cornea: Treating conditions relating to the outside of the eye
- Low Vision Assessment
- Contact Lenses: Prescription and fitting
- Ophthalmic surgery: A comprehensive range of eye operations
Primary Care Services
If you are older than 5 years old and are registered with either a Richmond or Kingston GP practice you maybe sign posted to a local optician who offers consultation on a range of minor eye conditions. This service is known as MECS (minor eye conditions services). Find out more.
If you are any age and are registered with a neighbouring Merton & Wandsworth GP practice you may be sign posted to a local optician who provide a minor eye conditions service (MECS). Find out more.
Out of hours
If you have an urgent eye problem out of hours, please contact your local accident and emergency department. Thank you for your co-operation
Your optician or GP can refer you to our clinic, where appointments are held on Monday to Friday between 8.15am and 5pm.
Raynes Park Outpatient Clinic
We run glaucoma and medical retinal clinics at Raynes park Health Centre. You can speak to us there on 020 8973 5060.
Please contact your optician or GP to be referred for an appointment at the Royal Eye Unit on Monday to Friday between 8.15am and 5pm.
Urgent Eyecare Service (CUES) – PES and CCG letter
Urgent Eyecare Services – Poster 1
Urgent Eyecare Services – Poster 2
For appointment enquiries or to change an appointment please call 020 8934 6404.
Office Opening Hours
Our office hours are 9.00am-5.00pm. To contact the Eye Unit please call 020 8934 6404.
“I called the Royal Eye Unit this morning, was given an appointment straight away. Was in and out within 90 minutes which included seeing a nurse, a technician for a scan and a doctor and the whole time I felt so safe and every member of staff was so cheerful and happy to help.”