A colposcopy is an examination to look more closely at the cervix or vulva. You must be referred to us by our laboratory or by your GP.
The examination is carried out by one of our team of four consultant doctors and two nurses, all specialising in colposcopy.
We see women with a range of conditions, including:
- Pre-cancerous abnormalities of the cervix
- Abnormal appearance of the cervix seen by a GP
- Abnormal bleeding
- Pre-cancerous abnormalities of the vulva and vagina
- Skin conditions of the vulva
We can help in the following ways:
- Diagnosis by colpscopic examination, with a biopsy (when we take a small sample of tissue) if necessary
- Surveillance of pre-cancerous changes to the cells of the cervix, vagina and vulva
- Treatment of the cervix, vagina and vulva
For all patient guides and videos, visit our document library.