Please note: Due to the coronavirus pandemic, all counselling from this service will be offered over the phone to all outpatients, until further notice.
Kingston Hospital/Macmillan Support Cancer Counselling Service
The Cancer Counselling service comprises of three specialist psychotherapists, all experienced in the field of cancer. They are available Monday to Friday for both inpatients and outpatients.
It’s very common for people who are diagnosed with cancer to suffer psychological distress. Cancer can have a devastating impact on your quality of life, as well as your family’s and carers’.
When you have cancer you face major life adjustments and, sometimes, debilitating treatment. This can result in issues like:
- Difficulty living with uncertainty and the changes cancer brings
- Depression, anxiety and anger
- Distress about change and loss
- Difficulty with relationships
- Loss of self-esteem and self-confidence
- Coming to terms with possible mortality
Kingston Hospital has provided a cancer counselling service since 1995 that, with Macmillan Cancer Support, is now available to adult patients, family and carers from 9am to 3pm from Monday to Friday.
This is a free, confidential support service that offers:
- An initial consultation to discuss your needs
- One-to-one counselling for up to eight sessions, or access to a group suitable for you
- Support when you are an inpatient
- Referral for ongoing therapy if needed
All our counsellors follow the professional code of conduct laid down by the British Psychoanalytic Council, the Foundation for Psychotherapy and Counselling, or the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy.
How the service works
If you experience any of the above issues, talk to your clinical team and they will liaise with us. We’ll be in touch within a week.
We can see you alone or with your partner or adult relatives if that helps. We don’t offer the service to children, but we can help you work out how to talk to your children about their worries – and find a child therapist if necessary.
Health and Wellbeing
· Macmillan cancer support
· Kingston Hospital Macmillan support
· Cancer Counselling service
· Emotional /anxiety:
· Cancer Care Map
· Maggie’s at The Royal Marsden