Preparing for labour and birth
What should I pack?
For your labour:
- Comfy clothes: whatever you would like to wear and a pair of socks!
- Drinks: isotonic drink for labour
- Snack: cereal bars are good to keep your levels of energy up
- Your TENS machine, hot water bottle, cool packs, aromatherapy (please mention to your midwife if using essential oils), massage oil, etc.
- A music player and charger
- Your camera and batteries
For your newborn baby:
- Vests, babygrows, cardigans, hats, socks, scratch mits
- Nappies and a “wet bag” if using cloth nappies
- Cotton wool or wipes and a “wet bag” if using cloth wipes
- Formula milk if you are not planning to breastfeed
- A car seat and a blanket for going home
- Comfy clothes, preferably tops with a front opening if you plan to breastfeed
- Breastfeeding bras
- Sanitary towels and a “wet bag” if using cloth pads
- Toiletry bag
For your partner:
- Snacks and drinks
- Pillow and blanket if staying overnight
Dads can stay overnight in the postnatal ward.
Two birth partners may be present during your labour and birth, one of which can stay with you throughout your stay on the maternity unit. You may have 2 visitors (including the birth partner) on the postnatal ward and any siblings of the new baby between 3pm and 8pm.